Raytheon wins Navy submarine radio contract

Raytheon has been awarded an $89 million Navy contract for submarine radio antennas.

Raytheon will provide 25 Submarine High Data Rate (SubHDR) antenna systems, which are “used to provide submarines with high capacity communications in the extremely high frequency and super high frequency bands and enables reception of the global broadcast service,” according to the Department of Defense contract announcement.

The contract is a combined U.S-UK purchase, with 80 percent for the Americans and the remaining 20 percent for the British under the Foreign Military Sales program. The work, scheduled to be completed by June 2018, will be performed in Massachusetts, Florida, New Jersey, California, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania and Utah.